Carter's Development! :)

baby

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Engaged in Matrimony or Battle?

On July 26, 2008 I got engaged.






Oh what a happy, joyous, exubrant day! The heavens cheered, my mother wept (and so did his). I'm engaged! Who knew it would ever happen to me? I was skeptical. But lo and behold, the ring was mine, the man was mine! Now all I needed to do was... EVERYTHING!


What's the date?

Where is it?

What time?

What dress?

Color scheme?

Who's in the wedding?

How much are you spending?


OH DEAR GOD!!! What have I done?! Now I see why people elope. My cousin and his new wife actually just got married in Vegas last week. You know what? I don't blame them! I've looked at dresses, cakes, flowers, and invitations with my wedding not for another year. It's overwhelming to say the least. Then you have people who want a say so in what you do and how you run your wedding. Yes, I've heard it's "my day" and I can do whatever I want. Unfortunately it's so NOT true. My fiance does get some say, though he wants none. And I find that ironic since he really is the one I would like some help from. My mother wants a lot of say, though I would rather her not have quite as much. Then there's extended family who want to come and I don't have the funds to feed and entertain them.


Since when did a wedding morph into a day/afternoon/evening of entertainment for your friends and family. It's "my day" but on that day, I have to worry about whether everyone is having fun, whether they like the ceremony, whether they are enjoying the food and music. This is why people elope!!


And yet I can't because do you know why people don't elope? Because their families would hunt them down and kill them if they did. I've already been threatened by my grandmother. I have no choice. But if I had any advice for brides, it would be this: save your money, go to a JP and use the money to start your new life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are in the EXACT same boat. Frustrating and overwhelming, right?

But also wonderful...

Emma said...

Agreed.

Elementary Counselor said...

Trust me, it will all calm down and be completely worth it. To be honest, I didnt care if everyone else was having "fun" I mean, I didnt want them to be bored, but I didnt buy entertainment. I tried to keep my mom out of the planning as much as possible (Since she was coughing up a lot of the money though I had to be respectful). As far as the guests...find a place, then worry about it. Best advice. EARLY AFTERNOON wedding. Cake, punch and nuts...and if you really want to feed everyone just do finger foods. (sandwiches, fruit platters, etc.)
Get creative...just do a bunch of desserts to mix with the two cakes... even homemade ones (cookies, brownies, etc.)
It was short and sweet. The wedding started at 2 and the reception was over at 5. It went quick quick quick. I had enough time to say "thank you" to everyone and leave with my husband. We had the whole night and no stress at all. It was amazing.
Does Calvary Hill have a wedding coordinator?
sorry so long. i love u.

Mama to Belle and Scooter said...

CONGRATS Em! I had no idea. What a time to celebrate. Make the day about you two... NOT the guests :) Good luck!